Sexual assault on children can happen to any race, religion or culture. Sexual abuse on the whole is one of the most heinous crimes. It not only leaves scars on the body it also leaves a traumatic impact on the child’s emotional and mental state. Many children are not able to cope with it and can have disastrous impacts on their overall upbringing. If something like this happens to your child the only person to be blamed is the perpetrator – not your child and not you. Below is some information about child sexual assault statistics in Georgia, US and tips on how to keep your child protected.
Child Abuse Stats In Georgia
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age of 12.
- 29% are aged 12-17.
- 44% are under age of 18.
- Girls aged 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- 7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.
- 3% of boys in grades 5-8 and 5% of boys in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.
- 82% of all adolescent victims are female.
Around 80% of juvenile victims, the offender was a parent. 6% were other blood relatives. 4% were boyfriend or girlfriend of a parent. 5% were “other” (from strangers to siblings).
Types Of Child Abuse
There are numerous ways in which a kid may be assaulted or maltreated, and these consist of sexual abuse, emotion, physical abuse and neglect.
- Physical abuse happens when a close relative or a parent causes considered physical injury to a child
- When a child is abused for a sexual drive or is involved in a sexual act, sexual abuse happens
- If a kid’s social and emotional development is compromised by a guardian, it is termed emotional abuse.
- Negligence of a child happens when the caregiver or parent does not carry out essential care and provision activities needed for a child.
Causes of Child Sexual Abuse and Neglect
Abuse of kids can happen in several situations. Here are some situations where a child may be victimized:
- Domestic Violence
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Untreated Mental Illness
- Lack of Parenting Skills
- Stress and Lack of Support
Child Abuse Famous Cases
Found In The Freezer
In Detroit, police department were attending a removal order and were clearing the apartment. Instead they found inside of the freezer a bag that included dead bodies of two small children. One was an 11-year-old boy and the other was a 14-year-old girl. It was one of the most horrific child sexual abuse case of its time.
How To Protect Your Children
- Tell your kid not to trust any outsiders.
- Never go in an outsider’s car alone or with a friend
- Never go somewhere private or away from guardians with a stranger
- Never leave children alone unsupervised
- Make sure your kid knows to keep doors locked while home alone
- Have your kids learn your phone number and their home number and address
- Be focused to your child’s daily routine and any indication of unknown strangers
- Observe your child’s internet use, as predators often talk to kids online for exploitation
- Tell your kids how to reject anyone asking them to do anything unaware or they don’t want to do
- Also teach children that there are some certain ways they should never be touched
Children are innocent in so many ways; protect them at your home or at the daycare. Make sure you invest in good home security system with surveillance cameras to monitor your kids’ activities within the home while you are away. Speak to Perfect Home Defense and learn what security options you have for the wellbeing of your kids.